Sari la conținut

Postări Recomandate

• Răspunsuri 338
  • Created
  • Ultimul Răspuns

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Interesant ce spune despre cum testeaza Yamaha. pare ca au prea multa pauza intre teste.... in felul asta nu ai cum sa vi cu ceva nou in timpul sezonului cum vin europenii. 

https://www.crash.net/motogp/news/1037281/1/cal-crutchlow-offered-new-threeyear-yamaha-contract

At the end of the Motegi event, Crutchlow revealed the new long-term testing offer.

“They want me to sign a new three-year agreement,” said the 37-year-old, before explaining that the M1’s testing schedule needs to be improved.

“I had nine weeks off after Sepang [test]. Then I did three tests in two weeks, then I had 14 weeks off. Then I did three tests in two weeks again!

“We need to make sure we're more consistently on the bike also for the engineers. And that's how you make progress.

“So hopefully they come with a better plan and I'll make a decision.”

Crutchlow: 'We don't need more power. We need a smoother engine'

Crutchlow finished the Motegi weekend with 13th place in the red-flagged grand prix, having been forced to serve a long lap penalty in both the Saturday (track limits) and Sunday (incorrect bike swap) races.

With the main priority of the weekend data gathering,  was also not using his ideal choice of parts. That included use of the large fairing, which he feels upsets the handling.

“It doesn't matter for the result. We have to get data,” Crutchlow said. “But the bike's difficult to ride with this much downforce. The bike is so heavy. I have probably better acceleration now, but everywhere else you lose.”

Acceleration is the top priority for Yamaha heading into 2024, but opinions seem divided on how to solve the issue. Factory star Fabio Quartararo is eager for more power, while Crutchlow believes a smoother engine character is the key.

“We don't need more power. We need a smoother engine,” Crutchlow said.

“Let's say, all the bikes have 300 horsepower. On the exit of any corner you don't use 300 horsepower, you use 200 horsepower. If you want more power [now] you can turn the power up. So, turn the power up - and then you don't exit the corner [as well]…

We don't need more power. Trust me. I know what the other manufacturers are doing. How many Newton metres [of torque] they are using on the exit of the corner. We are using a lot more and the engine is not smooth. So we need to go in this [smoother] direction.

“When we go in that direction. Like the ‘19 bike, you will see the acceleration of the bike. Because at the end of the straight it will be faster because it exits the corner a lot faster. Now we are just spinning.

“I already tested this [2023] engine last year and said the engine would create a problem and now we have the problem.

“Okay, you [could] fix it with the electronics, but then when you spin more, you go into the traction control, so you end up slower… It needs to come from the engine character.

“I believe we have enough top power at the moment. We can have some more, sure. But I think we have enough. It’s that we don't exit the corner in a good way.”

Crutchlow also tried the longer exhausts rejected by the race riders, which he felt made a minor improvement to the power delivery, but found them 'too quiet'.

Link spre comentariu
Distribuie pe alte site-uri

• 4 weeks later...

cred ca se potriveste mai bine aici acest articol:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/motorcycles/motogp/its-better-to-be-calm-otherwise-you-go-crazy/

MotoGP's most experienced crew chief: 'Better to be calm, or you'll go crazy!'

Antonio Jiménez: “During the last three years MotoGP has become even more complicated. For example, the tyres… the tyres are subject to much more stress [due to downforce aero and ride-height devices], so the hard front tyre from maybe three years ago is now a medium-soft, because the loads are so much greater – the riders brake later and enter the corners with more force.

“The evolution is too big, so some components on the bikes don’t follow that evolution and for me this is one of the difficulties of MotoGP today. This isn’t a criticism of the tyres, but the tyres are basically the same as three or four years ago, while the bikes have made a big, big evolution.

“Then there is the choice of which tyres we use for the race, which is also a problem now, but the good thing is that it’s the same story for everyone.

“But the evolution of the bikes is so big and I don’t know how they will limit this evolution, because the stress for the riders is so much now. We saw in India [where Jorge Martin collapsed in pit lane after the GP] how much stress they were under.

“Here [we are talking in the Mandalika paddock on the eve of the Indonesian GP] the track is at 60 degrees and we have 300-horsepower engines in the bikes and a lot of electronics components that produce a lot of heat, so it becomes very difficult for the riders, both physically and mentally.

What are the biggest things that take up your time during a weekend?

“In the past you started on Friday and you worked on the bike to make it turn better, to make it more stable and so on, mainly with suspension settings. Now you must have the bike almost perfect from FP1, so the base must be 90% fixed and then you work with the electronics and tyres. Years ago, we used to change the geometry a lot, but now we only do this if we are in the shit.”

What about aerodynamics?

“We can only homologate two sets of aero, so we can only use them. So you already know what works and what doesn’t. Sometimes you change from one to the other, but nowadays the main work from day one is tyres: tyre choice, tyre pressure and tyre life.”

And because tyres quantities are limited you’re playing with them like you play with engines?

“Exactly. Sometimes in FP1 you don’t use the good tyres because you need to save them for later, so you must manage all of this. But again, the good point is that the regulations are the same for everybody, so you cannot complain about the tyres.

“For me, the most important thing to do after FP1 is to work on tyre choice, tyre management, tyre temperature and tyre pressure over many laps. These are the most important things.”

“But sometimes you must forget this area a bit. For example, at Red Bull Ring, Motegi and Chang [Buriram] you may have brake problems, because at these tracks you are on the limit with the brakes and when you’re on the limit with the brakes then it’s related to the tyres, because you generate so much heat with the big discs. You try to keep the heat from getting to the tyres, but sometimes by cooling one part of the bike you heat up another, so you must find a balance.

“Being in the factory team can also makes things difficult, because sometimes our engineers say, ‘We have a new swingarm for you to try’, or Öhlins say, ‘We have a new fork for you to try’. But how can we have the time to try these things? It’s impossible!

“Then it’s electronics: engine-brake, power delivery, torque control and anti-wheelie. Everything is related.

“And every race is different. We go from Mandalika, with 60°C on the track, to Phillip Island where we try to keep the brake discs warm! But Phillip Island is no stress for the brakes and no stress for the wheels getting hot, so everything is a bit more relaxed. Then we go to Chang where it will be f**king, f**king stressful, because everything there is an extreme problem: tyres, brakes, bike stability, acceleration, the heat for the rider, everything!”

With all this new technology it seems like the rider and engineer are much more integrated now, like F1 drivers and engineers, so do you need to tell your rider what to do with the aero, ‘Don’t lean off too much here because you will stall the wing,’ and so on?

“If we try some new aero that might have a big effect we tell the rider to be careful if he does this or that, but we are only allowed to homologate two sets of aero, so this doesn’t happen very often. But yes, we must be careful with new aero, because it can change the balance of the bike.”

Link spre comentariu

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Era interesantă partea de cadru. După evacuare și coadă, pare să fie motocicleta din 2023 (surprinzător că cei de la KTM i-au lăsat să o fotografieze așa). Nu știu dacă este cadrul "de carbon" - dar dacă da, se vede clar că este cel mult un cadru hibrid, cu părți care clar sunt din oțel.

Link spre comentariu